Thursday 18 October 2012

Who Am I? (Performance Poem)


This is a performance poem rather than a page poem and I will be filming and uploading a video of the performance in the coming few days!

Who am I?

Who am I?
I am all of the magazines I ever read,
all of the articles that told me
I was a nervous girl
waiting to become a empowered woman.
All of the pictures telling me
what I like to wear, how I like my hair,
and what every girl is doing with their 'downstairs'.

I am the music I listen to.
I am Beyonce, Taylor Swift
I'm the Beatles and Panic! At the Disco.
You say goodbye, and I say hello.

I am all of the guys that ever
tried to touch me in a club.
I'm all the 'don't be shy's,
and, 'It's no big deal's.
All the guys who don't care
how I feel.

I am all the shoes I've ever owned.
I'm my first pair of trainers
with the light in the sole,
I'm my first pair of heels as a teen,
my first party I went to in them,
and all of the regrets in between.

I am all the colours I have dyed my hair,
I'm the accidental yellow,
I'm that happy blue,
I'm the 'notice me please' pink
and all the off colour hues.

I am all the posters I put on my walls,
I'm the pictures in frames
of my family, my friends.
I'm the pictures of ex boyfriends
tossed in the bin,
I'm all of the bullies
I swore wouldn't win.

I am my mum's eyes, her nose, her mouth.
I am my dad's coarse hair,
his refusal to back down.

I am my brother's practical jokes,
the frights, the trips, the scuffed knees, the brawls.
I'm the fights, the tricks, the crying, the falls.

I am the days I forget my coat
when the rain catches me on the way home,
I am the way it makes my make-up run down my face
and the way it permeates my skin.
I am the sunny days where the rays
seem to penetrate the haze
and burn from the inside out
as if my flesh was paper thin.

I am my arms, my legs, my hands, my head.
I am my lips, my hips, my brain, my breasts.

 I am all of the teachers that I had crushes on.
All the popstars, rockstars, celebrities
I ever obsessed over.
I'm all of the Spice Girls rolled into one
and all of the songs that they ever sung.

I am all the people who spoke patronisingly.
I'm loud, quiet, planned and spontaneous.
I am everything that people thought I could never be.
I have defied everything to be here and I am Me.

By Samantha Boarer

No comments:

Post a Comment