Wednesday 12 September 2012

Those Wild Saturday Nights

Here is the written version of the poem I have performed in a video below. Please, if you have any feedback let me know.


Those wild Saturday nights.

It was late one night. A Saturday,
and I was partying hard.
The music was loud…
in my headphones,
which were connected to my laptop
where I was trawling the internet
for ‘the one’, for the long run, not one night of fun.
I didn’t mention anywhere on my profile
about the pint glass
I was drinking wine from.

Made4u88 – sounds promising.
Likes long walks on the beach,
travelling the world,
cuddles on the sofa and
kissing in the rain,
and clearly a big fan of clichés.
But his hair is more than slightly grey
and instead of long walks
it looks like he plays Halo all day.

Okay, maybe not for me, but how about…
Tomlikestea83?
Well, he likes tea, I know that much already.
And I love tea!
He says he’s funny, dark and handsome.
Hold on. I’m sure that’s not the phrase.
I check his details and…yep…five foot three.
It’s not that I’m terribly shallow,
I just don’t want ‘the one’
To make me look like the BFG.

But more to the point,
what do I say about myself?
I can’t describe myself as ‘bubbly’.
I might as well say
‘I’m fat but desperately trying to ignore it’.
But then I think,
if you can’t handle this jelly…
mmm jelly…

So where is my chubby chasing,
works with disabled children,
dog loving, muscle toning,
Ben and Jerry’s bringing
Six foot Adonis?

I want it to be a love like
rain splashing into gutters.
I want excitement to ripple
with every drop until
it fills right to the top,
and then with a sudden drop
we can just lay on the Earth
holding on as it turns like
a giant spinning top.

Is that really too much to ask?

Well, I’ll hold out hope a little longer,
but if there’s anyone out there
and you like what you see,
I’m a blonde size ten with a shoe size of three.

No comments:

Post a Comment