Tuesday 27 March 2012

In That Kitchen - Samantha Boarer


In that kitchen,
With the coffee machine bubbling
And the rich aroma
Slowly coming over me,
So I knew my dad was awake.
The television on quietly
So as not to wake anyone.
In that kitchen,
Where the ceiling was
wood clad,
And matched the many
Cupboards we had and
The table and benches
My Dad had made.
I used to run my finger
Along the grain until
I found a little dip.
I loved the feeling of the
Smooth varnish.
In that kitchen,
Looking out of the window
At the hundreds of
Christmas trees in the back field.
We were always allowed
To take one for ourselves
At Christmas and I sat
At our kitchen table
Where I was allowed a
Sip of wine, even though
I never liked the sour taste
Smarting in my mouth.
I always forgot how
Much it made my throat burn
So I just kept doing it,
In that kitchen.
By Samantha Boarer

No comments:

Post a Comment